Saturday June 24, 2017

Jukeboxes For Home Theaters - Not quite there yet.
  Posted by: AceBHound on Apr 3rd, 2004 2:27 AM
I bet if I added all of the hours I've spent searching for a perfect solution to a "Music Jukebox" for use in my living room it would be well over 2 weeks worth of time.

First I tried eJukebox, which seemed like a pretty cool product & had a lot going for it (very nice GUI, somewhat functional web interface). But alas, it had its problems -- any time I wanted to access my music folder I was essentially locked out (it would lock up the computer I was trying to access it from). It also required you to use the GUI to rescan the music database or for any more complicated playlist/genre choices. Maybe the $50 I spent will be worth it in the end if I can combine this partial solution with another product.. I do have "free updates for life", afterall.

More recently I've been looking at the Slimp3 Squeezebox (picture above) which is used with their free server software that has a very cool, intuitive, feature-rich web interface. Unlike eJukebox, I can control all of the functions via the web, whether it be scanning music folders, picking genres, etc. I have the server software running now (you don't need the hardware device to use the server software) and it's very nice. But I can't justify $300 for the hardware device just to have the remote & not have to use a computer to manage the jukebox.. the limitations it imposes with it's 2-line display are just too grande.

I've looked at dozens of products similar to the Slimp3 like the Turtle Beach Audiotron, Sonic Rio Receiver and Prismq.. but none of these products are quite there with their interfaces or organization. It's really quite disappointing that no one has figured out what consumers really want in this type of device. Guess I'll have to keep waiting.. someday.

Read More

View All Articles