Friday October 20, 2017

I cancelled my XM subscriptions... I think?
  Posted by: AceBHound on Jun 27th, 2009 1:00 PM
I used to have 3 XM subscriptions -- one for my car, one for my fiance's car and another for my parents. I enjoyed the service much more in the beginning when the gimmick was less commercials & there weren't a lot of good online radio alternatives. Now that we have sites like last.fm, Pandora, Rhapsody, and Slacker.. and can hook them up to devices like the Squeezebox there's really no need for an extra device. XM's final nails in many a customer coffins has been adding additional service fees, more commercials & increasing subscription fees for secondary radios. Their bad customer service when it comes to cancelling an account hasn't helped matters either.

A few years ago I smashed my laptop bag into the line out jack on my old-school Roady, rendering it useless and figured it was a good excuse to get rid of one of the subscription payments. I soon found out that XM makes the cancellation process as frustrating as possible so users are more likely to change their mind. No option to cancel online, they MAKE you call a number..they throw you into infinite hold music and customer reps hang up on you.

Fast-forward to today.. two years later. It appears XM is still using the same old tactics. Still no way to cancel service without jumping through hoops over the phone. Sure, you can activate a radio online or over the phone in minutes without a problem, but you could easily spend half a day trying to deactivate that same radio. I wasted more than half an hour trying to cancel my two remaining XM subscriptions. I *think* the pain is over. Goodbye XM.

Read More

View All Articles