Tuesday December 12, 2017

Atari 2600 Bank Switching Works!
  Posted by: AceBHound on Sep 7th, 2010 9:14 PM
I got the DIP switches I ordered off eBay. DIP (dual inline package) is a standard package name for components that go into through-holes on a PCB board. DIP switches are essentially a tiny row of switches in little box. They're the small red box in the far-right of the picture. Great for when you're prototyping on a breadboard so you don't need to pull wires in and out to change "settings".

I hooked them up to the higher address lines (A12-A15) on the 27c512 with some pull down resistors to ground on one side of the switches and connecting to the 5v on the other side. This then allowed me to switch the starting address of the ROM so that I could change Atari games via the DIP switches. Pretty neat to use a larger ROM for multiple Atari games. The project was thus far a success. A few games were played for a very short time until hands cramped up from cruddy Atari joysticks =)

I also bought a 40-pin ZIF (zero insertion force) socket which you can see in the picture, since I hate bending pins when removing and inserting larger chips into breadboards. More to come on this, hopefully a tutorial at some point.

View All Articles