Saturday June 24, 2017

What Computer Should I Buy?
  Posted by: AceBHound on Sep 10th, 2010 11:37 PM
From time to time I get asked the inevitable question that the resident "computer guy" of a family or extended family gets asked -- "what computer should I buy?" Today was in fact one of those days. It's never an easy question to answer.

I try to diffuse any really geeky technical talk by stating that practically any computer built in the last 5 years will be just fine if you aren't hardcore into gaming. Pick a well known manufacturer like Dell or HP and buy one of their new computers and you're set for the next 3-5 years. Usually for less than $500 you can get a desktop with a multi-core processor, 2gb or more RAM, 1tb hard drive, and large lcd monitor, which is unbelievable if you think back to the early 90s when computers used to cost $3000+ and be outdated a year later [to the point you couldn't meet minimum requirements of new applications and would crash when attempting to run them].

On one hand it's hard not to pick a decent computer nowadays that will be more than adequate for web surfing, photo editing and video editing. On the other hand, there are *so* many models and configuration options available that the average non-technical person just wanting something that will last a few years has no idea what to pull the trigger on. I'll let you in on a secret.. technical people are just as overwhelmed when purchasing a new computer -- except we actually start comparing and researching all the detailed specs trying to get the best deal. I think you're almost better off if you're the type of person that can flip a coin.

So what computer should you buy? Who makes the best computers? I don't know, but here's a coin to help you decide..

View All Articles