Thursday March 23, 2017

Pinball On Vacation
  Posted by: AceBHound on Oct 8th, 2010 10:01 AM
I got a chance to play the Adam's Family Pinball at Rodanthe Pier in North Carolina. The playfield was pretty dirty, but it's the first I've played that particular machine in person. My wife played first and made the most of the $0.50 for 5 balls, playing for roughly 5 minutes. Unfortunately my $0.50 did not go as far, each ball drained right away and my game was over quick. I noticed as my wife was playing that the ball got stuck and machine kicked off a bunch of coils looking for it -- something I wouldn't have recognized a few years ago. It makes you truly appreciate a well-kept and fully working pinball machine, and wonder how many pinball machines in-service are really 100% working.

A few days later we tried playing a Ripley's Believe It Or Not at an OBX restaurant, but when turned on it was beeping as if it recognized it was missing a ball. Guess that's why it was turned off. So much for finding a bunch of working pinball machines down in the stretch of OBX we were staying, but we came down for the beach, not to play pinball -- just never mind stumbling into a few pins we haven't played and throwing a few quarters at them. I'm finding the hard part with playing machines that are in-service is after you know how to fix their issues, it's difficult not to recognize how many things aren't working and wanting to fix them so you can play a completely working game!

View All Articles