Thursday May 25, 2017

June 16th 2011 Windows 7 Updates Kill PC
  Posted by: AceBHound on Jul 9th, 2011 9:48 AM
I spent about 3 weeks with my desktop PC in horrible shape, apparently after a handful of Windows 7 Updates that were automatically applied on June 16, 2011. Initially I thought it was my video card again since my GeForce video card died earlier this year -- it would work for 5-10 minutes and then freeze up, often with artifacts on the screen. So I had been using the PCIe card that came with my desktop and although it wouldn't run Media Center it at least wouldn't crap out after 5 minutes. All was good until mid-June when my computer started freezing up again randomly, except no artifacts this time and when I would reboot it would always say something about completing updates. If I booted into safe mode, all was again good. I spent a few weeks in safe mode due to lack of time to figure out if it was a hardware or software issue, and just before I was about to format and reinstall Windows, I decided to look at any recent Windows updates that came in. I noticed a bunch of updates from June 16 and did a system restore to the backup made on June 16th. That fixed the issue, no more freezes! This was my first time in 15 years of using Windows that I ever had a Windows update mess up my PC that bad.

View All Articles