Saturday April 20, 2024

Bally / Stern Cabinet Switch Tester
  Posted by: AceBHound on Mar 3rd, 2013 1:18 PM
Being productive again today with another quick prototype. Pictured is a preview of what the board will look like. What is it? Well.. just one of many small diagnostic boards I'm having made to help troubleshoot boards. This one is pretty simple, it'll attach directly to connector J3 on Bally/Stern MPU boards and allow you to "fake" cabinet switch closures.

I'm mostly seeing this as useful while at the bench, allowing you to enter diagnostic mode.. coin up and start a game. This will be used in conjunction with some of the other diagnostic tools I'm creating. It should also be usable while the MPU board is connected inside the machine to test the cabinet switch circuitry on the MPU. I know this would have helped me with one really strange issue I was having with a Stern Hot Hand machine, where hitting the start button was throwing the machine into self test mode. Turned out to be a bad capacitor on the switch return line on the MPU board.

I think this will be a great addition to some testing tools I'm creating to help me get through a bunch of boards I need to repair much faster.

View More Techdose Articles