Sunday March 26, 2017

More Boards On The Way
  Posted by: AceBHound on May 11th, 2013 4:38 PM
I'm still having some fun with designing helpful tester circuit boards for pinball machines, mostly classic Bally/Stern stuff right now. I've also done some slight re-designs to existing boards and am very happy with the results.

Probably the board I'm really itching to get in is the redesign to the bench led display. I don't have a picture of that, but will definitely post it once the boards come in & I have one fully assembled. If everything works out with the new boards, the new design won't require a wiring harness. Instead it will plug directly into the MPU board. This saves me 30-40min of creating a custom harness per display. I'm mainly excited though because I haven't offered this one for sale yet and I'd really like to see what people think of this one once it's out there. I doubt it will sell that quickly but for the people that do buy it, they're going to enjoy how much easier it is to work on boards at the bench (or in the machine) with some of these testing tools.

One of the new designs I submitted a board order for a few days ago is a playfield switch tester board (pictured in this post). It's going to be a "budget" version for people that don't mind flipping a few DIP switches to switch between the strobe lines. I've found some people *REALLY* hate DIP switches.. and I'd agree if it wasn't for the "rocker" versions of the DIP switches which I find completely bearable. The other versions you have to use a fingernail, pen cap, etc to flip really do suck. I haven't figured out exact pricing yet but should be under $20. I'm also be creating a version with all 40 switches on it which will probably be in the $40-50 range.

View All Articles