Monday August 21, 2017

Redhat dependencies are a bitch
  Posted by: AceBHound on Mar 2nd, 2005 10:01 PM
So I'm playing around with PHP image creation and find out I need to update the GD libraries to a newer version to gain access to some new image functions. Great. So much for that. My time's short as it is on a weeknight =]

I found a post at the forums on defcon.org that pretty much sums up my issues with Redhat, specifically RPM's "ease of use":

RPM is a piss-poor method of updating and maintaining a Linux system. While I apppreciate what it attempts to do, it does so poorly. Example: try to replace the OpenSSL libs on a semi-sensible RH install. Watch as around 200 dependencies fail because RPM isn't smart enough to know that just because a particular binary requires a particular library to function, it doesn't necessarily *care* what the version of that library is. Bitch #2 with RPM: it can be broken if you build from source, or use non-RH-supplied RPMs. And, finally, it does not teach you to build your own software, or the issues involved with doing that - and this is really how *nix is designed to operate.

Amen.

Read More

View All Articles